Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Thoughts From a 7 Hour Bike Ride

This Saturday I did my longest bike ride, which ended up being 7 hours and 39 minutes long (it was supposed to be 7 hrs). That gave me a lot of time to think; my mind has always gone faster than my legs so a lot of thoughts crossed my mind. Here are some of them:
  1. I really like the people in my triathlon club. I spent the first three hours with them, as part of our regular Saturday morning group ride. We had so much fun together and those three hours went quickly.
  2. I am feeling stronger.
  3. I love my bike.
  4. Never unzip your jersey if you're hot on your bike. I did and an insect flew down inside and stung me on my boob.
  5. That Toffee Peanut Buzz Clif Bar tasted like a gourmet meal at the turnaround point.
  6. The wind is my constant companion. I used to hate it but now I take it in stride (although I do have to admit that I did say the f-word at the 7:16:55 mark because I was getting a little tired of the 40 km/hr headwind).
  7. Legs are amazing things.
  8. I was dressed perfectly for the ride.
  9. That hill on Rollyview Road, that everyone on the MS Bike Tour used to freak out about, is no big deal.
  10. There aren't a lot of private places to pee on the Alberta prairies.
  11. I have discovered that a bottle of Starbucks frappuccino tastes like the nectar of the gods when I'm out on the road and I will never go for another long ride without one.
  12. I feel like maybe I can do that Ironman ride.

2 comments:

  1. I am still amazed that you did 7 hours on the bike. I am also impressed by your humbleness. You are well prepared for your race. You have worked hard, and I know you have the ability to finish.

    And I agree with #10!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. #10 is a real problem!

    Thanks for your faith in me, Colleen!

    ReplyDelete