Thursday, May 31, 2012

Big Training Days

This past weekend, I had a couple of big days. On Saturday, I ran the Blackfoot baby ultra, a 25K trail race in a nature reserve just outside of the city. It was a gorgeous sunny day and the scenery out there is beautiful. For me, a trail run/race was a totally new thing and it is, indeed, very different from a road race. It was pretty much up and down - the whole race is almost entirely hills! But, I actually felt really good, took it at a steady pace and made it to the finish in 3:28. I had no idea what to expect for time but I kind of thought it would be nice to do it in under 3:30 (a goal that was chosen quite arbitrarily). I finished 75/86 so pretty much a usual kind of standing for me. I'll never be fast but I can get it done and I hope this bodes well for Ironman. Most people at the race agreed that running a hilly 25K on trails is about the same as 30K on the road so this race counted as my longest long run in my training for Ironman.

The next day, I did a six hour bike ride. A friend came with me for half of it and it was very nice to have her company. It was such a windy day, which affected our enthusiasm somewhat, but we both know that rides like that just build strength and character.

This week has been good, training wise. I've had some good runs, one good, long swim so far, and, last night, I went to the hill climbing workout held by my triathlon club. It was so fun and such a nice evening and it was great to see my people. This weekend I will do my longest bike ride - 7 hours. I'll start with the club group ride and do what I can with them before they go back and have coffee while I keep going for another 4 or 5 hours!

Amazingly, I am now doing my longest workouts and looking at the taper coming up in my schedule. I can't believe that June 2012 is upon us and my race is just over 3 weeks away. I still have doubts about it. I still wonder if I can put this all together. But, I am feeling better about it. I feel good and I'm doing what my schedule asks me to do so I will be as prepared as I can be come race day. Then I will just put my head down and do it. It's getting to be time to just do it.

2 comments:

  1. It was my pleasure to join you for part of your ride. Remember to return the favour in about 7 weeks time??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be happy and honoured to ride with you on your long rides!

    ReplyDelete