Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Cycling Heaven

This weekend was a long weekend and I went on a cycling trip with 14 other members of my triathlon club. We went to Drumheller, in southern Alberta, where the terrain is unique and amazing and the sun was shining. We rode about 100 kilometres per day for three days. Each day, the ride gave us something different. The first day, there was a lot of long, smooth, fast highway, a couple of epic climbs, and a ferry ride. Day two brought about 50 km of some serious roller coaster riding, followed by another 50 km of nice fast straightaways home. At the end of that ride, there was a big screaming downhill. I had been leapfrogging with another guy in the last few kilometres and we raced each other down the hill and into town. On day 3, we rode an almost flat route along the river. Ten of us got into a pace line, tucked up close together, taking turns leading. We had perfect rhythm, perfect communication, a perfect pace and it was truly, truly beautiful. We rode like that for 70 km.

My body did its thing this weekend. I felt strong and good. I wasn't too tired and I wasn't stiff or sore at all. It made me marvel at how our bodies can do these amazing things that we ask of them.

I was there with a great group of positive, enthusiastic people and it was such a wonderful time. I was the one who planned the trip and it made me very happy that it went so well and that everyone enjoyed it so much. It was hard to come home and leave the magic behind.


No comments:

Post a Comment