Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Race Report: Ironman Coeur d'Alene 2012 Part 2


The Bike
The bike course is also two loops but it's really two out and back arms, which you do twice. The first goes east through town and then out along the lake. Then you return to town and head south along the western edge of the lake on highway 95. The eastern arm is quite a bit shorter (about 16 miles) and it's got some flat sections, although there is a decent hill at the end that you go up and over and then up and over again after the turnaround. The longer section (40 miles return) on highway 95 is very challenging. There are about 2 miles that are fairly flat but the rest of it is relentless climbing. Some of it is just gradual but there are a couple of long tough hills. The Mika Grade is the major climb, a 6% grade for just over 3 kilometres, which you have the privilege of going up and over four times by the time you do the whole course. There is another climb that is 5% for about a mile. On the way out, we had a pretty significant headwind. It was easier going back toward town because the wind was behind us but the hills didn't let up! I found it hard mentally to head out to highway 95 for the second loop but it was good to know that the harder work would be on the way out and that coming back would be better. A lot of people passed me on the uphills but there were some screaming awesome downhills, too, and I passed everyone on those! I am not afraid of going down and working those hills! I leapfrogged the whole way back to town with a guy named Joe - he'd pass me going up and I'd pass him going down. We kept each other company. As I did the last major climb on the way back, another guy pulled up behind me. He said, "Sarah, you are doing great." (Our names were on our bibs.) I said I was getting worried about the time. He told me that I'd be back in town in 20 minutes and have loads of time for the run. He said that that evening, I'd hear Mike Reilly (the announcer) tell me that I was Ironman. I never saw his face. He pulled out and passed me near the top of the hill but so did a couple of other guys so I don't know which one was him. He was a total godsend, though, just in the right place at the right time with the right thing to say. My bike time was 7:55:44. I thought I might be around 7:40 or 7:45 but I was pretty happy with my time considering the course. My speed has picked up quite a bit since I did my one and only half iron in 2009 on a much easier course so I feel good about that.

T2
I was pretty happy to get back to transition. At the dismount line, the volunteers hold on to your bike and help you off. I couldn't even stand up so they held on to me, too! They take your bike for you so you don't even have to worry about it. I waddled over to get my run gear bag and went into the change tent. I did a full change of clothes so I could start over fresh. Again, a fantastic volunteer helped me with my bra and socks and got me organized when I couldn't think straight anymore. On the way out of the tent, another volunteer handed me a bag of pretzels and off I went for my marathon. T2 time was 5:52.

Continued in Part 3...

No comments:

Post a Comment