Saturday, June 16, 2012

Making Peace with Open Water

Last Tuesday, I went out to Hubbles Lake to do my first open water swim of the season. Last year, I did only one open water swim; it was in a race and it didn't go well. So, I wondered how this swim would go. It was a nice evening and the lake was comfortable but that panicky feeling swept over me after about 100 metres of swimming and it was hard to shake. I was with a friend and we just ended up bobbing and talking in the middle of the lake and swimming a bit when I felt I could. I managed about 1200 metres. It was actually really fun to just play in the lake and have a chat but it wasn't exactly a stellar swim. I returned to the lake yesterday (Friday) for another shot at it. Between Tuesday and Friday, I tried to visualize a perfect swim and get my mind focused on having a positive experience. When I got in the water, I spent a few minutes just getting used to the water and sticking my face in. The water was easier to get into than the pool is - it was so warm and the evening was lovely. I set out with two other women. I found a perfect groove right off the bat and just settled in! The three of us just glided peacefully across the lake, side by side. It was magical. About half way back, I turned my head to breathe and found myself almost face to face with a loon. He was just floating there about 4 feet from me. I stopped to look at him - he was so beautiful. Then he slowly swam away and I started off again. The trip across the lake and back is 1800 metres. I felt strong and calm and in the zone the whole way and I could have kept on going. It was a huge psychological boost to have such a great swim!

No comments:

Post a Comment