Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Race Report: Ironman Coeur d'Alene 2012 Part 3

The Run
My goal was to be on the run by 5:00 p.m. in case I had to walk the whole thing and I actually got going a few minutes earlier than that. Considering that I couldn't even stand up when I got off my bike, I was quite surprised that I was able to start out running. Turns out I was able to run almost the whole first half of the marathon. It wasn't fast but I did the first loop (13.4 miles) in just under three hours. It was hard to go back out for the second loop because the halfway turnaround is a block away from the finish line and I could hear the announcer congratulating people who were finishing. But I wanted to get there, too, so off I went. Near the beginning of my second loop, a spectator said to me, "You've got over four hours to do a half marathon! You've got this!" I realized at that point that I might actually make it. I couldn't run anymore but I could walk pretty fast so it became my plan to just keep that up. At the aid stations I ate chocolate chip cookies, chips and fruit and I started to drink Coke on the second loop. I felt strong and happy. When I got out to the turnaround point, at about the 32K mark, it was dark and they were handing out glow sticks that we put around our necks. The turnaround point is up and over a big hill and as I was coming back up and over that hill, I saw the 21 mile sign. I realized that I had 5 miles to go and over two hours to do it. I was pretty sure then that I was going to make it. I got choked up. I kept on walking as fast as I could. There were still spectators out on the course, especially back in town, cheering and saying I looked strong and amazing, high fiving everyone as we went by, playing music for us. I thanked them for staying up late for the last of us.

Finally, I made the last turn onto Sherman Ave - six blocks to go! With three blocks to go, I started to run again. The crowds were thick at that point and they were cheering like crazy! I entered the finishing chute. I had it all to myself. Time stood still.  Everyone was screaming. They were thumping on the sides of the chute and reaching out their hands. I reached out my arms to touch every hand I could. I saw Dan and Adam. Mike Reilly said, "Sarah Wall, YOU are an Ironman!" I couldn't contain my happiness. And I crossed that finish line at 16:15:10.

My total run time was 6:20, which pleased me, and I was thrilled with my overall finishing time. I thought I'd be right down to the wire. It was an incredible day. The crowd support was amazing. I felt like a rock star all day! And the volunteers were fantastic. They did anything and everything for you that you needed. The day went well for me and I was so impressed with the event. It was a great first experience and I'm so glad I did it.

9 comments:

  1. Your whole report was beautiful, and I teared up at the end (just like I did when I watched you cross). Your joy is visible! Congratulations again, I am so happy for you and proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations again to you. I am so happy you had a wonderful experience, and bery proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made it sound so easy! but I know it's not!!! congratulations Sarah! You ARE AN IRONMAN!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So very happy for you and your fantastic accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats! I got chills reading this and reliving the moment down the chute. You did great !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations Sarah! You did amazing! I really enjoyed reading your report.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great race report. I just signed up to do Ironman Coeur d'Alene 2013. This will be my very first full Ironman. I am already terrified and nervous. lol. I'm from Calgary. Any tips on where to stay?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carolyn - Congratulations on signing up for your first Ironman! You will love Coeur d'Alene. I understand your nervousness but try to just enjoy the training and trust that you will be ready when the time comes. This will be an amazing year for you! We stayed at the Hampton Inn in CdA. It's very nice and they take care of the athletes staying there. It was a bit expensive but most places are during the Ironman week. It's about 3K from the lake/transition/Ironman village so it's handy to the action but still a little removed from it if you need to get away and clear your head. We had a room with a balcony overlooking the river. It was a lovely place to sit and chill and enjoy the week. Will you be keeping a blog of your training? I'd love to follow you this year!

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete