Thursday, March 18, 2010

Vulcan Tri

Today was registration day for the Vulcan Tinman Triathlon and I signed up to do it for the 5th time. As I mentioned before, this was my very first triathlon. It's a short sprint - 500m swim, 15K bike, 5K run. A lot of people do it as a first one or just to have fun with a tri once in a while. It's a very family friendly event so it goes on all day with adults, youth, little kids, and teams taking their turns. Although I enjoy the relaxed atmosphere, I do tend to take this race quite seriously. It's early in the year (June 5) and it's often the first race of the season for me so I use it as a sort of time trial - a measure of how my training has been and how my season is looking. I tend to get quite anxious about it because it's an important test for me!

It's been quite hot most of the times I've done it (close to 30 C) but last year it was really cold - around 1 C. The swim (in an outdoor heated pool) and the run were really nice in the cold but the bike ride, with hail and soul-sucking winds, was a little much! I had hoped for a PB last year but the weather took care of that for me! Oh well. That's the way it goes but maybe this year the weather will be a little nicer and that PB will happen!

1 comment: