Thursday, March 4, 2010

The Right Tattoo

I have been wanting to get a tattoo for a while now but I can't seem to decide on exactly the right one. And I mean "exactly." I am nervous about getting one and I don't really want to have a lot of them. The first one might be the last one so it really has to represent me and my interests and values in a way that is not likely to change significantly over time. Tall order, eh?

Here are the ideas I have considered:

τρία This is the Greek word for "three." There are some threes in my life. There is triathlon, of course. I also have three kids and, when I finish my PhD program, I will have three degrees. Growing up Lutheran, I would say that the Trinity featured prominently. And, although I am not what you would describe as "new-agey," I also like the idea of "body, mind, and spirit" as the three dimensions of life. Trouble is, what if I imprint this on myself and then the idea of "three" doesn't hold up in some situations? I only have one husband and he's pretty important and I don't plan on having two more! What if there are more than three dimensions to God or life? Somehow I feel like if it doesn't capture everything, I can't make it permanent on my body.

Anima Sana In Corpore Sano This means "a sound mind in a sound body." It happens to be the slogan for ASICS running shoes but I just like the phrase. It represents something important to me. I am working hard on training my body and keeping it healthy, while at the same time, I am developing my mind through my education. The trouble with this one is: What happens when I'm old and arthritic and senile? It will sound pretty funny then and that probably isn't all that far away for me! Also, after thinking about the idea of "Body, Mind, Spirit," something seems to be missing from this one. It's also pretty much all about me and doesn't represent my family or other values to any extent.

Body Mind Spirit (It's becoming clear that I'd like a text tattoo, isn't it?) I like this one because, as I've said, it depicts the dimensions of life. I've covered the body and mind aspects with running, triathlon, and education. It's the spirit part that has me worried. I don't know what I've done with this. What does it mean? Is it faith, values, beauty, love, relationships, drive, passion, culture, music, art? I would feel like a "spirit" poser if I put this tattoo on my body without knowing if I'm doing it! Should I take more piano lessons, learn to speak another language, develop my competitive drive, or keep loving my family?

On a completely different note, maybe I should wait until I've done an ironman and just get that accomplishment inked. But then there are issues with that - even that won't be the only or greatest thing I will have done or the only thing that matters to me (except on that day!).

Clearly, getting a tattoo requires a tremendous amount of analysis and introspection! How can you capture it all in one image or phrase?

Maybe I need more than one.

5 comments:

  1. Dear Sarah, how about a cross? You know, maybe you are giving it too much thought, or maybe you shouldn't get a tattoo at all! Why scar your body? You know, some people choose their tattoos when they're drunk and end up with a giant skull, cobra, or anchor with the word "Mother" across it. Very little thought. But I don't like the idea of a text tattoo -- too risky -- whereas with a symbol, you can sometimes change its meaning for you later on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have 3 tattoos including one to honour my first half ironman. I put a lot of thought in to all of my tattoos. It's been 10 years since the first and I don't regret any of them. My rule is I have to sit on a design for at lease 6 months before I commit it to ink. I have writing above the triathlon one - Fortes Soli Superant (the GWN theme of only the strong survive.) I had planned one and even had an appt for after Ironman but no race finish means no tattoo. I thought about getting Athena the warrior goddess to honour my Ironman journey but in the end I was so disappointed with the result and bitter about the journey that I chose not to recognize it in ink.

    Please don't spend all this time deciding on the design and then just pick an artist out of the phone book. Get a recommendation and if they are good, they can give you lots of advice on what to get and where to put it. Many of them are artists first so don't be afraid to get advice from them but have some idea before you go in. Personally, I prefer symbols over text because a picture is more artistic and visually stunning than font and I see my tattoos as artistic expression of different parts of me and my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Incorporate the above into your IM tattoo :)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. it depends on your personality. if you are the type of person that will defend and be strong about an aspect of your life, then get text. if you think you might be the type of person who isn't set in stone on a certain idea, get a picture or symbol where you can adapt to the meaning. I actually just got anima sana in corpore sano tattooed on my bicep because I have a degree in aerospace engineering which I worked hard for, as well as a body that I work out every day. so the saying basically sums up every aspect of my life. take from that what you will. good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did end up getting a tattoo! I got a small lime green daisy on my ankle. The five petals represent the five people in my family. Three leaves represent my three kids, triathlon (three sports), and my three university degrees. The daisy was my mother's favourite flower and it is also mine. I love its simplicity. They don't usually come in lime green but that's my favourity colour.

    ReplyDelete