Friday, January 22, 2010

We're in this together

I am a triathlete - a slow, old, fat triathlete but a triathlete all the same. I have never been last in a race but I've come close. I wish I had found triathlon earlier in my life but I didn't discover it until I was 42. I don't look like what many would expect a triathlete to look like. I'm a little bit soft and chubby. But here I am, in love with and committed to triathlon, with lots of plans for the future.

I have been toying with the idea of starting a blog about triathlon in my life but recent thoughts and occurrences have brought me to the point of readiness. What has really struck me lately is the importance of having each other for support, advice, encouragement, and motivation. My hope is that, through this blog, I will be able to share my experiences and impressions so that I can get feedback from others and, more importantly, offer some support and encouragement to other triathletes like me (and maybe some not like me).

Here are some of the things that have brought me to this point:

This week, a Facebook friend became a fan of a group called "Making Drug Tests Required to Get Welfare." I couldn't resist taking a look at the group's postings. What I read overwhelmed me with distress. This group seems to be founded on contempt for others, a lack of compassion, and ignorant assumptions about people in need. What motivates people to be so scornful and unsupportive is beyond me. I wondered if the people posting such mean-spirited comments had stopped to think about how much support and encouragement they had received in their lives that allowed them to be successful. I'm not sure that any of us can claim to be completely self-made. Even though we may be ultimately responsible for our own lives, we all get by with a little help from our friends. When I need help, I appreciate support moreso than judgement. And I believe that when we give, we benefit rather than lose.

Last night, I went out with my good friend, Jordan, whom I met a year ago through an online running community of which we are both members. She is an experienced and accomplished triathlete and a supportive and sensitive person. I always feel good after a visit with her. When I feel lacking in confidence, she builds me up. When I am celebrating a success, she gets more excited about it than I am! She is also a workout buddy and a source of terrific training advice. Meeting her coincided with my desire to get serious about triathlon and to take on some new challenges; she has been a pivotal part of the growth I have experienced this year.

In my efforts to improve over the last year, I have also sought connections to groups of triathletes so that I can learn from them. The online running community - the "maniacs" - has been a great source of advice and encouragement. No matter how elementary my questions were in the beginning or how slow my race times are, they have always been helpful and positive. Some of them live here in Edmonton and I have gotten to know them. We are workout buddies and general cheerleaders for each other. As well, my spin instructor extraordinaire, Elise, also the owner of my favourite triathlon shop, has pushed me to improve and has always treated me like a "serious" triathlete, which sometimes surprises me because of how I see myself.

Groups of triathletes have always intimidated me but I am getting over that. Recently I joined the Edmonton Triathlon Club so that I can get even more connected to the local triathlon community. I went to my first activity with them just before Christmas and I was amazed at how welcoming they were. I am going to enjoy being part of that.

There is no doubt that there can be elitism in triathlon but I have decided to ignore that. I don't think that makes triathlon or triathletes any better. I have surrounded myself with positive, helpful, fun people who make me feel good and help me get better. There is room in this sport for everyone who wants to do it - even someone like me. I will be so pleased if what I write in this blog is helpful to someone who isn't sure they belong, who doesn't know if they can do it. This is an adventure for all of us!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you decided to blog! I will follow along devotedly :) This is going to be a fantastic and exciting year for you, I just know it :)

    ReplyDelete