Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Training

January is the time when I am especially thinking about training. Which training plan will I use? Where will I go to train? Who will I train with? Race season may seem far away but it has a way of sneaking up, especially if you're not ready!

I have really wanted to do more group training this year but that is proving hard to do so far. I feeled pulled between groups. I want to do it all but, of course, I can't. I am trying to rotate myself around and stay in touch with my usual spin group at Element triathlon store, my new Edmonton Triathlon Club (ETC) group, and my "maniacs" group. I have been swimming and running more on my own so far, although I have done some group swim training and a few runs with Jordan. Trying to work social time into training makes me unsure about what training program to follow. It's hard to stick to a defined plan while also being spontaneous about where to train and with whom! I may be overthinking it, though (not that I would ever over-analyze anything). I will just take it as it comes and work hard when I work out and I'll probably be OK.

Right now I am doing the 100 Day Triathlon Training Challenge with a group of triathletes who are all connected to Element. We are going for at least 100 swim, bike or run workouts within 100 days. This is Day 11 for me. It's very motivating. Slacking off means owing workouts and I don't want that. I have to keep plugging to meet this challenge. I am hoping that I'll see some improvements by April 25, which will be Day 100 for me.

I plan to do a few tris this summer but my big race is the Great White North half ironman on July 4. I did it last year for the first time. It is a super race - well organized, nice course, awesome race director - and it's local so that makes things easier. I am hoping for at least a 35 minute improvement over my time last year. Every workout I do now is part of getting me there.

There are always days on which I feel less motivated to train than others but I have noticed something this year. I used to force myself to train so that I could complete a race and have the race day thrill. Now I understand better why people call triathlon a "lifestyle." I am actually starting to enjoy the training journey as much as I enjoy the race experience. I enjoy swimming, biking, and running and feel like something is missing if I don't get out there and do it.

One thing that excites me about the upcoming race season is that I will get to ride my new tri bike. I know that I have to work hard to be race-ready but I do hope that my bike will help me achieve my goals this year. The Maniacs have a tradition of naming their bikes, which I think is cool. My bike is a Quintana Roo, named after the Mexican state that includes Cozumel. One Maniac (Carla) suggested that I give my bike a Spanish name to fit with the brand name. I decided to name my bike "Esperanza," which means "hope." I am, indeed, full of hope about what this year will bring and what I can accomplish if I train hard and smart.

No comments:

Post a Comment