Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Body Project

These last couple of months have been my off-season and I've been trying to use the time very wisely. We had a long, lovely fall so I was able to ride my bike outside right up until the end of October. I did some long rides and loved every minute of it. I've been running 5 or 6 kilometres a couple of times a week and doing some technical swim training, which has been excellent. However, since my Ironman in August, what I have been most focused on is recovery and setting myself up for a strong 2014 training season.

I nearly broke myself this year. For one thing, I asked a lot of my body this year after having surgery last fall. Also, I neglected to maintain my flexibility and strength the way I should have and by the end of the race season, I was hobbling around, locked up as tight as can be. I decided I needed a "body project," a focused and concerted effort to rebuild and prepare to train again.

My body project involves a three-pronged attack on my locked up legs and hips. I am going to physio once a week for IMS (intramuscular stimulation), having nice hard massages every week, and going to hot yoga two or three times a week. My favourite yoga instructor and my physiotherapist told me that I would see a difference in a couple of months. I can already see small changes - my muscles aren't quite as sore and tight as they were. To support my efforts, I am eating well and drinking more water.

I want to feel good while I train for Ironman Coeur d'Alene in June, 2014. It's exciting to be doing this. It makes me feel pumped about being able to take my training to a new level in the coming year.

I am on a mission!

1 comment:

  1. Where are you doing hot yoga? Can I join you sometime?

    ReplyDelete