Saturday, April 28, 2012

Time Gone By

It has been a very long time since I wrote about my training. I have been overwhelmingly busy with work. This term, I taught three courses, two of them new for me, so I have been pretty busy keeping the courses going and managing 320 students. The term was officially over for me last Wednesday, when I submitted the final grades and it's been very nice to have a couple days to think about something other than lecture prep. 

So, to try to recap what the last several weeks have held:

February and March were quite good months as far as the training went. I did all of my workouts, missing only a couple of swims in those two months. I could feel myself getting stronger and fitter. Although work and training were pretty much my life, I actually felt happy and balanced and very motivated. I especially enjoyed the spin season with my triathlon club. We did three good, hard workouts a week and it was so satisfying to accomplish them. I really like the group of people who attended the spins. My job, as part of the board of the club, was to coordinate and manage the spins so I got to know everyone who was there and feel like I was part of something really good.

April, though, was a hard month. Suddenly, it seemed, my workload caught up to me and I was working very long hours trying to get the last of the term's work finished up - creating the last few lectures, preparing for the final exams, meeting with panicked students, etc. Somehow I still managed to fit my workouts in, although sometimes I had to defer them to another day. Our spin season ended on April 22 but the weather hasn't been that nice since then so outdoor workouts have been a little miserable. I have found myself in a gloomy place this last week - so tired, depressed by the weather and getting a little more stressed about my looming race.

Today I went on a long group ride with a few members of the tri club. It was actually a lovely day and I was feeling strong but I rode with a few people who are quite a bit faster than me. I am faster than I was last year but rather than feeling good about that, the ride today just made me feel a bit lame. I also get the feeling that my coaches are a little unhappy with me for messing with my schedule. I know how hard I've worked to accomplish everything these past couple of months - to do my job well and to do my workouts faithfully - and yet I am left feeling like I didn't do enough and I am not where I should be.

Now, with only eight weeks to go until the race, I would like to be feeling positive and strong and more and more ready. Maybe this is just how it is. I know there are highs and lows and this will probably turn itself around in the next little while. There is not much I can do but carry on, keep training, focus on what works for me, and take one day at a time. I am also going to focus on accepting myself for what I am and where I'm at. I have time until the race and I'll keep plugging on toward the goal.

3 comments:

  1. Sarah, any time I think about bailing on a workout I think of you. You inspire me to get it done because I know you do.

    So you had to rearrange things to make it fit. That's life. The best part is that you didn't skip it.

    And yes you are faster and fitter than ever before and you will be amazing. I look forward to riding with you (hopefully) soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Colleen!

    I ride on Wednesday evenings and Saturday mornings. Let's ride together as much as we can. If our rides aren't the same length, we can do a loop and we can ride together for part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you can only do what you can do. You've been putting in the time and the training - and you can't change the past. Focus on the next 8 weeks and stay positive. (there will be times when it'll be very hard to - trust me), but that's what this training is about. It breaks you down and humbles you more than you will ever guess.

    Keep positive Sarah - you're doing great!

    ReplyDelete