Thursday, October 27, 2011

Happiness is...

…a revised training plan!

After swim practice this morning, I talked to my coach about moving forward with my training in a way that won’t destroy my body. He had told me a couple days ago that I could substitute water running for running on land so today he gave me a quick lesson on how to do it properly. It isn’t difficult and I got the hang of it pretty easily and he told me a trick I can use to monitor and correct my form from time to time. So, I should be good to go. I’ll still be doing 5 runs per week but I think I will be able to handle that if it’s in the water. It hasn’t been the volume of training that’s been difficult (not yet anyway!); it’s just been the impact of running.

He also said that he is going to add another swim to my schedule so that I have an opportunity to do some long, continuous swims. I’ve been swimming with his training group twice a week but we focus a lot on technique and don’t actually do a lot of distance – often only 800 metres in an hour. It’s fantastic instruction and over time we’ll be going farther but I am glad that I’ll be going to the pool for a third workout each week from now on so I can build my endurance.

I get back on my bike, on the trainer, this weekend. I’ve missed my bike and I hope I haven’t lost too much fitness. But heading into spin season with my triathlon club will take care of that for sure!

I am optimistic that I am on a better path now.

1 comment:

  1. Very happy to see that you and your coach have come up with a plan to get your fitness where it needs to be, without destroying your body :)

    ReplyDelete