Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Enough, already!

This is me feeling sorry for myself:

I am sick to death of my hip injury. It's been 7 months now and there is no overall sign of improvement. I did seven weeks of physio and a month of anti-inflammatory meds to no avail. I have tried doing little or no activity and that just makes me stiff and I've tried light to moderate training and sometimes that's OK and sometimes I can't walk afterward. Now I've done two weeks of ART. It seems to be improving my range of motion but the pain is still always there and I am limited in my daily activities because of it. I find it hard to get dressed, go up stairs, get in and out of my car, and, worst of all, paint my toenails!

Everyone has told me that this will be a long process but I had at least hoped to see gradual improvement over time. Instead it seems I am just stuck where I am, spending heaps of money on rehab and getting nowhere. Back in March, when I finally realized how bad my situation was, I never imagined that my planned sprint triathlon in Banff in September would be threatened by this. When I registered for it, I thought I'd be in great shape after a season of training for Great White North (which of course did not happen). I have been doing some biking, which is sometimes OK, and I will get back in the pool this week. But running is still out of the question and I feel like I'm starting at square one (or negative one) with my fitness. It won't be the race I had hoped for.

All in all, I am feeling pretty ripped off. Poor, poor me.

5 comments:

  1. Hang in there Sarah! Keep working at it. Being injured is frustrating, but when this is over, it will just be a little blip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey Sarah,

    I just went back in your old RM thread to remember what was wrong with your hip... you said torn hip flexor? I would think that a tear should have been healed by now IF you've been resting it enough.

    Curious about whether you've tried IMS (I'm not sure who would offer it in Edmonton). It was the magic bullet for my hip injury... basically, everything from the top of my quad and up into my abdomen had seized right up. It manifested first as a twinge in my hip flexor, and then spread. I had a bit of physio and ART, but progress was stunted until I tried IMS. Then it only took TWO IMS treatments to fix me right up. It was like night and day. Might be worth checking into!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ananas!

    Holly - it is my hip flexor that hurts but I'm not sure if it's the cause or the consequence of my problem. I get different stories from different professionals. I am making my way through various treatment modalities. If ART doesn't work, I'll try IMS but I have to give the ART a fair shake first. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. fair enough. I think that IMS is great if the problem is stemming from the muscles, because it basically just causes the muscles to contract and relax (kinda like when the physio does the electrical stimulation to force the muscles to contract/relax). Even if the muscles aren't the cause of the problem, chances are that they're exhausted from supporting the injury for months.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For sure. Even though I don't really know what the heart of the matter is, is totally safe to say that the muscles are cramped up and exhausted at this point! I will try whatever works to get this healed.

    ReplyDelete